To obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate for someone born in the City of Newburgh, please note the following:
A copy of a birth certificate can be obtained from the City of Newburgh, only if you were born in the City of Newburgh.*
A copy of a birth certificate can be released only to the person listed on the certificate (must be 18 years or older), the parent or court-appointed legal guardian, or an attorney for a proper legal purpose.
To obtain a copy of a birth certificate, do the following:
- Download application Form DOH-296A (PDF, 16KB).
- Fill out the form.
- Make a photocopy of your acceptable identification. The Office of the City Clerk considers the following to be acceptable forms of identification:
Police report of lost or stolen ID
Employer's Photo ID
Two utility bills, showing applicant's name and address
- Mail the completed form, the copy of your identification, the $10.00 fee (per copy), and a stamped self-addressed envelope to the City Clerk's Office.
- A certified copy of the birth certificate will be mailed to you within a few days.
* For other localities, you can obtain birth records at their local offices or through the New York State office of vital records: www.health.state.ny.us/vital_records