If I have a leak on the service line feeding my building, what do I do?

The water service line that connects a customer’s property to the City’s water main in the street, is the owner’s responsibility. In the City of Newburgh, the property owner owns the entire water service located on both the private property and within the road right-of-way.  If you have a leak on a water service or feel that you need to replace your water service for some other reason, contact a City of Newburgh licensed plumber to perform the work. It is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure that a proper building permit is obtained for repair or replacement of a water service. If a water service is made of lead or galvanized steel, then the existing water service cannot be repaired and must be replaced. Plastic, PVC, PEX or other materials are not permitted to be used for water services in the City.  Only Type-K copper with flare connections can be used.

Show All Answers

1. If I have a leak on the service line feeding my building, what do I do?
2. Who's responsible for the safe keeping and maintenance of the water meter?
3. How does the City read my water meter?
4. Is there a charge for the water meter?
5. If I have a question about my water bill, who do I call?
6. If I am experiencing a problem with water in my building (rusty water, low pressure, no water, etc.), who do I call?
7. If I'm selling my house, do I need a closing reading?
8. If I'm buying a house in the City, what should I do? Do I need a closing reading?
9. What does the City do if they can't get a reading at my building?
10. What are estimated and minimum bills?
11. Where or how do I make payment for my water bill? What form of payment do they take?