To obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate for someone born in the City of Newburgh, please note the following:
- A copy of a birth certificate can be obtained from the City of Newburgh, only if you were born in the City of Newburgh.
- A copy of a birth certificate can be released only to the person listed on the certificate (must be 18 years or older), the parent or court-appointed legal guardian, or an attorney for a proper legal purpose.
Obtain a Copy of a Birth Certificate
To obtain a copy of a birth certificate, do the following:
- Download application Form DOH-296A (PDF)
- Fill out the form.
- Make a photocopy of your acceptable identification. The Office of the City Clerk considers the following to be acceptable forms of identification:
- Driver's License
- Employer's Photo ID
- Military ID
- Naturalization Papers
- Non-driver's License
- A police report of lost or stolen ID
- Two utility bills, showing the applicant's name and address
- Mail the completed form, the copy of your identification, the $10 fee (per copy), and a stamped self-addressed envelope to the City Clerk's Office.
- A certified copy of the birth certificate will be mailed to you within a few days.
New York State Office of Vital Records
For other localities, you can obtain birth records at their local offices or through the New York State Office of Vital Records.