- Planning & Development
- Planning Initiatives
- 2018 Master Plan Update
2018 Master Plan Update
The City of Newburgh is happy to announce the launch of the 2018 Master Plan Update! The Master Plan or Comprehensive Plan serves as the basis for planning and development issues for the next 10 years and provides guidance for future planning and zoning actions. The plan also creates a framework for future capital expenditure and economic development.
The Master Plan is the beginning of a land-use planning cycle and the backbone for local zoning laws. A Master Plan is an advisory document, however, it is the basis for Zoning, which is regulatory.
2018 Vision Plan
Ten years after the adoption of the Plan-It Newburgh Sustainable Master Plan (PDF), the City hired BFJ Planning to kick off the Master Planning Process, with the creation of the City's Vision Plan. The Vision Plan is the starting point for any master plan and is a shared community vision of what Newburgh should be in 20 years' time.
Public Workshop 1, April 26, 2018, 7 pm, Newburgh Free Library
Public Workshop 2, May 30, 2018, 6:30 pm, Newburgh Free Library
Public Workshop 3, June 18, 2018, 6:30 pm, Newburgh Free Library.
Newburgh's Existing Plans
The Comprehensive Planning and Zoning cycle should occur on a 10-year cycle. For review, below are the plans from the last planning and zoning cycle. Access other Planning Documents, Studies, and Resources
Background on Master Planning
According to New York State, "City Comprehensive Plan" means the materials, written and/or graphic, including but not limited to maps, charts, studies, resolutions, reports, and other descriptive material that identify the goals, objectives, principles, guidelines, policies, standards, devices and instruments for the immediate and long-range protection, enhancement, growth, and development of the city.
The city comprehensive plan may include the following topics at the level of detail adapted to the special requirements of the city:
- (a) General statements of goals, objectives, principles, policies, and standards upon which proposals for the immediate and long-range enhancement, growth, and development of the city are based.
- (b) Consideration of regional needs and the official plans of other government units and agencies within the region.
- (c) The existing and proposed location and intensity of land use.
- (d) Consideration of agricultural uses, historic and cultural resources, coastal and natural resources, and sensitive environmental areas.
- (e) Consideration of population, demographic and socio-economic trends and future projections.
- (f) The location and types of transportation facilities.
- (g) Existing and proposed general location of public and private utilities and infrastructure.
- (h) Existing housing resources and future housing needs, including affordable housing.
- (I) The present and future general location of educational and cultural facilities, historic sites, health facilities, and facilities for emergency services.
- (j) Existing and proposed recreation facilities and parkland.
- (k) The present and potential future general location of commercial and industrial facilities.
- (l) Specific policies and strategies for improving the local economy in coordination with other plan topics.
- (m) Propose measures, programs, devices, and instruments to implement the goals and objectives of the various topics within the comprehensive plan.
- (n) All or part of the plan of another public agency.
- (o) Any and all other items which are consistent with the orderly growth and development of the city.
- Guide to Planning and Zoning Laws of New York State
- New York Department of State: Guide to "Zoning and the Comprehensive Plan"
Master Plan Documents
- 1. Liberty-Grand Street Heritage Corridor Vision (2006) (PDF)
- 2. Waterfront Design Charrette (2007) (PDF)
- 3. Plan-It Newburgh Sustainable Master Plan (2008)
- 4. Future Land Use Plan (2011) (PDF)
- 5. HUD CDBG 5 Year Consolidated Plan (2015) (PDF)
- 7. Local Waterfront Revitalization Plan (2017) (PDF)
- 8. Long Range Transportation Plan (2016) (PDF)