Transform Newburgh Rezone Project
In 2013, the City of Newburgh began a rezoning process under the leadership of the Greater Newburgh Partnership (GNP) through a generous grant from the Dyson Foundation. AKRF was the consultant to the project, and a broad based committee of City staff, elected officials, and representatives of the City’s land use boards and community groups had worked diligently on the project.
GNP and AKRF, and ultimatly City of Newburgh staff released multiple drafts held Public Meetings, Community Meetings, and ultimatly Public Hearings, and worked to address the public's comments. In July of 2015, Newburgh City Council voted unanimously to approve the zoning update, effective Septmeber 2015.
The main areas addressed in the new zoning included:
- The use of Form Based Code and the districts addressed.
- Streamlining of the land use boards and implementation of the plan proposed by PACE University and adopted by City Council in 2013.
- Parking – the requirement for off-street parking in all districts and implementation of adequate parking in as-built areas of the City.
- Density – areas to be protected and those that can be more densely developed.
- Mixed-use and live-work approvals.
- Definition of various dwelling types and classifications.
- Height of buildings
- Protection of view sheds
- Protection of waterbody overlays and steep slopes; preservation of the natural environment.
- Public presentations were made to City Council in January and February of 2015. The revised code was posted to the City website for review at that time.
- Presentations were made at the Distressed Property Taskforce Public Meetings on December 10, 2014, February 18, 2015, and May 13, 2015 at the Newburgh Free Library Auditorium.
- A public hearing was held on April 13, 2015.
- Public presentations were held for Ward 4, and a community meeting on zoning was conducted on April 29, 2015 at the Activity Center.
News & Announcements
- Cooling Center Open Sat. July 23 and Sun. July 24 - Activity Center
- Saturday, July 23, 2016 - Community Garden Tours, Newburgh Armory Unity Center
- Civil Service Commission Meeting Rescheduled
- Presentation of Newburgh Projects Regarding Distressed Property
- Field Day at Downing Park Urban Farm July 30, 2016