Newburgh Preservation Association
The City has authorized the Newburgh Preservation Association to act on its behalf in promoting awareness of the landmark former Dutch Reformed Church and developing a proposal for its restoration and adaptive re-use. Established in 1978, NPA is a volunteer nonprofit organization whose mission is to rebuild, restore and preserve the architectural heritage and historic viewsheds of Newburgh.
Dutch Reformed Church
Designed in 1835 by Alexander Jackson Davis, Newburgh's former Dutch Reformed Church is an outstanding example of Davis' work and of the Greek Revival style. The City's contract with NPA requires it to "retain a reputable preservation architecture firm to develop an assessment of the condition and significance of the former Dutch Reformed Church, also known as a Historic Structure Report ("HSR"). The NPA will also oversee and develop a Rehabilitation Plan for the reconstruction and usage of the building." For information on the project: www.newburghdrc.org.
Friends of Old Town Cemetery
NPA also includes among its task forces the Friends of Old Town Cemetery, a volunteer group working in cooperation with the Old Town Cemetery Committee established by City resolution. For more about the Old Town Cemetery, see the NPA pages and the website published by the Calvary Presbyterian Church.