Regulations Include Penalties
A city ordinance revised in January 2006 mandates the following:
- Within 30 days of a building becoming vacant, its owner must provide the Office of Codes Compliance with his or her name, address, email address, and telephone number.
- If not a resident of the City of Newburgh, the Town of New Windsor or the Town of Newburgh, the owner must designate a managing agent who resides or maintains an office within the above communities. The same contact information must be provided for the managing agent .
- By Jan. 31 of every year, property owners must pay an annual fee of $900 to cover the cost of bi-weekly inspections of their buildings.
- If a building fails inspection, the owner will be notified and will have 7 days from the receipt of notice to correct the condition.
- If the condition is not taken care of within a designated time, the City will correct it and send the bill to the property owner
For more information, contact the Codes Compliance Office.
To report a vacant property please click here.
Office: (845) 569-7400
Building Inspector: (845) 569-7400
Plumbing Inspector: (845) 569-7411
1841 Courthouse, First Floor
123 Grand StreetNewburgh, NY 12550