Board of Assessment Review
"The Board of Assessment Review shall hear and determine complaints in relation to assessments and shall have all the powers and duties imposed by law on Boards of Review by Article 5 of the Real Property Tax Law and by any other law."
- The Board of Assessment review shall fix the hours for such meeting or meetings to hear complaints, which hours shall be for a period of at least four (4) hours, not necessarily continuous, between 9:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m., but in no event less than two (2) hours after 6:00 p.m.
- The members of the Board of Assessment Review, as a majority of them, shall prepare and verify a statement showing the changes determined to be made by them in the assessments. Such verified statement shall be delivered to the Assessor on or before the date required by law for the final completion of the assessment roll.
- The Assessor, as soon as possible after receiving such verified statement, shall make the changes in assessment on the assessment roll in accordance with such verified statement and shall certify on such verified statement that he has recorded on the assessment roll the changes set forth in such verified statement of the Board of Assessment Review.
- The members of the Board of Assessment Review shall be appointed by the City Council and shall have a knowledge of property values in the City of Newburgh. Neither the Assessor nor any member of his staff may be appointed to the Board of Assessment Review. A majority of such Board shall consist of members who are not officers or employees of the City of Newburgh.
- The Board of Assessment Review shall consist of not fewer than three (3) nor more than five (5) members.
- The terms of office of members of the Board of Assessment Review shall be five (5) years; however, the terms shall be of such length that not more than one (1) term will expire in any one (1) year of the first five (5) years after the members of such Board are appointed.
Source: City Charter § C7.30. Board of Assessment Review. Added 3-27-1972 L.L. No. 1-1972, amended 9-14-1987 L.L. No. 4-1987.